We know them from ancient legends and tales whispered by the campfire. They don’t sparkle or have any interest in us except to tear us apart. Forgotten, unknown, misunderstood, overused, watered down. We want to give them a renaissance, to reestablish their dark reputation, to give them a comeback, let the world know of their real terror.
The Fox Spirit Books of Monsters is a coffee table book series from Fox Spirit Books with dark fiction and art about monsters from around the world, seven volumes between 2014 and 2020, starting with Europe in 2014, continuing with Africa in 2015, Asia in 2016 and Pacific area (Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific Islands (including Hawaii) in 2017. Volume five and six will cover South, Mid and North America (including the Caribbean islands) before the series end with Eurasia (including Russia, Eastern Europe and the Balkan) in the end of 2020.
‘Another great monster collection! On maps, the Pacific has plenty of room for the chilling promise of “Here there are monsters,” and this collection certainly proves the truth in that, inviting readers to step away from the tame and venture into the uncharted reaches of Pacific myth and tradition.’
Charles Payseur, reviewer of speculative short fiction, author of Fieldwork and A Friendly Ghostbusting, and author of short stories in Strange Horizons, Nightmare Magazine, Shimmer Magazine, and Lightspeed Magazine
Pacific Monsters is filled with speculative dark fiction about monsters based on Pacific folklore, legends and history, written by authors from the Pacific area. Margrét Helgadóttir is once more the editor.
Pacific Monsters was released November 30th 2017.
The book’s Goodreads page is here.
Contact me if you are interested in reviewing the book, writing articles about it, interviews with me or the authors/artists etc.
Table of contents
- Tina Makereti: ‘Monster’
- AJ Fitzwater: ‘From the Womb of the Land, Our Bones Entwined’
- Rue Karney: ‘The Hand Walker’
- Michael Grey: ‘Grind’
- Octavia Cade and Dave Johnson (art) : ‘Dinornis’
- Raymond Gates: ‘The Legend of Georgie’
- Jeremy Szal: ‘The Weight of Silence’
- Simon Dewar: ‘Above the Peppermint Trail’
- Iona Winter: ‘Ink’
- Bryan Kamaoli Kuwada: ‘All My Relations’
- Tihema Baker: ‘Children of the Mist’
- Kirstie Olley: ‘Mudgerwokee’
- Michael Lujan Bevacqua and Dave Johnson (art) : ‘I Sindålu’
- AC Buchanan: ‘Into the Sickly Light’
- 31.12.17 : Awarded Best Anthology by the lovely people at Sheffield Fantasy and Science Fiction Social: SFSF Awards 2017
Articles and mentions
- 03.01.17 : Aurora Australis – Tor.com
- 19.12.17 : Small Press, Big Publishing – Fantasy Faction
- 30.11.17 : They’re Here! Pacific Monsters – Fox Spirit Books
- 05.09.17 : Aurora Australis – Tor.com
- 06.08.17 : Pacific Monsters updates – Fox Spirit Books
- 06.10.17 : Pacific Monsters cover reveal – Fox Spirit Books
Blog posts by the authors and editor
See also blog posts by editor here.
- 11.12.17 : Margret Helgadottir: Pacific Monsters – Fox Spirit Books
- 10.12.17 : Tihema Baker: My Identity – Fox Spirit Books
- 09.12.17 : Rue Karney: Finding the Words – Fox Spirit Books
- 08.12.17 : Octavia Cade: Wishful Monsters – Fox Spirit Books
- 04.12.17 : Michael Lujan Bevacqua: “The Taotaomo’na of Guam” – Fox Spirit Books
- 03.12.17 : Michael Grey: “Pacific Monsters” – Fox Spirit Books
- 02.12.17 : Bryan Kamaoli Kuwada: “All My Relations: Shark Stories” – Fox Spirit Books
- 01.12.17 : AJ Fitzwater: “Spine of the Dragon” – Fox Spirit Books
- 29.11.17 : Kirstie Olley: “The Dark Canvas of the Imagination, or Let’s All Stop Pretending We Aren’t Afraid Of The Dark” – Fox Spirit Books